- ICD-10-CM Codes ›
- Pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium O00-O9A
Pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium O00-O9A
- CODES FROM THIS CHAPTER ARE FOR USE ONLY ON MATERNAL RECORDS, NEVER ON NEWBORN RECORDS
- Codes from this chapter are for use for conditions related to or aggravated by the pregnancy, childbirth, or by the puerperium (maternal causes or obstetric causes)
- Trimesters are counted from the first day of the last menstrual period. They are defined as follows:
- 1st trimester- less than 14 weeks 0 days
- 2nd trimester- 14 weeks 0 days to less than 28 weeks 0 days
- 3rd trimester- 28 weeks 0 days until delivery
Use Additional Help
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation. In most cases the manifestation codes will have in the code title, "in diseases classified elsewhere." Codes with this title are a component of the etiology/manifestation convention. The code title indicates that it is a manifestation code. "In diseases classified elsewhere" codes are never permitted to be used as first listed or principle diagnosis codes. They must be used in conjunction with an underlying condition code and they must be listed following the underlying condition.
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as O00-O9A. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
Type 2 Excludes
Type 2 Excludes Help
A type 2 excludes note represents "not included here". A type 2 excludes note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition it is excluded from but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When a type 2 excludes note appears under a code it is acceptable to use both the code (O00-O9A) and the excluded code together.
- mental and behavioral disorders associated with the puerperium (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code F53
- F53 Mental and behavioral disorders associated wi...
- F53.0 Postpartum depression
- F53.1 Puerperal psychosis
- obstetrical tetanus (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code A34
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Billable/Specific Code Maternity Dx (12-55 years) Female Dx
- postpartum necrosis of pituitary gland (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code E23.0
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Billable/Specific Code
- Fertile eunuch syndrome
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism
- Idiopathic growth hormone deficiency
- Isolated deficiency of gonadotropin
- Isolated deficiency of growth hormone
- Isolated deficiency of pituitary hormone
- Kallmann's syndrome
- Lorain-Levi short stature
- Necrosis of pituitary gland (postpartum)
- Pituitary cachexia
- Pituitary insufficiency NOS
- Pituitary short stature
- Sheehan's syndrome
- Simmonds' disease
- puerperal osteomalacia (
ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code M83.0
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Billable/Specific Code Maternity Dx (12-55 years)
- O00-O08 Pregnancy with abortive outcome
- O09-O09 Supervision of high risk pregnancy
- O10-O16 Edema, proteinuria and hypertensive disorders in pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium
- O20-O29 Other maternal disorders predominantly related to pregnancy
- O30-O48 Maternal care related to the fetus and amniotic cavity and possible delivery problems
- O60-O77 Complications of labor and delivery
- O80-O82 Encounter for delivery
- O85-O92 Complications predominantly related to the puerperium
- O94-O9A Other obstetric conditions, not elsewhere classified
ICD-10-CM Range O00-O08
Pregnancy with abortive outcome
Type 1 Excludes
- continuing pregnancy in multiple gestation after abortion of one fetus or more (O31.1-, O31.3-)
- O00 Ectopic pregnancy
- O01 Hydatidiform mole
- O02 Other abnormal products of conception
- O03 Spontaneous abortion
- O04 Complications following (induced) termin...
- O07 Failed attempted termination of pregnanc...
- O08 Complications following ectopic and mola...
ICD-10-CM Range O09-O09
Supervision of high risk pregnancy
- O09 Supervision of high risk pregnancy
ICD-10-CM Range O10-O16
Edema, proteinuria and hypertensive disorders in pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium
- O10 Pre-existing hypertension complicating p...
- O11 Pre-existing hypertension with pre-eclam...
- O12 Gestational [pregnancy-induced] edema an...
- O13 Gestational [pregnancy-induced] hyperten...
- O14 Pre-eclampsia
- O15 Eclampsia
- O16 Unspecified maternal hypertension
ICD-10-CM Range O20-O29
Other maternal disorders predominantly related to pregnancy
Type 2 Excludes
- maternal care related to the fetus and amniotic cavity and possible delivery problems (O30-O48)
- maternal diseases classifiable elsewhere but complicating pregnancy, labor and delivery, and the puerperium (O98-O99)
- O20 Hemorrhage in early pregnancy
- O21 Excessive vomiting in pregnancy
- O22 Venous complications and hemorrhoids in ...
- O23 Infections of genitourinary tract in pre...
- O24 Diabetes mellitus in pregnancy, childbir...
- O25 Malnutrition in pregnancy, childbirth an...
- O26 Maternal care for other conditions predo...
- O28 Abnormal findings on antenatal screening...
- O29 Complications of anesthesia during pregn...
ICD-10-CM Range O30-O48
Maternal care related to the fetus and amniotic cavity and possible delivery problems
- O30 Multiple gestation
- O31 Complications specific to multiple gesta...
- O32 Maternal care for malpresentation of fet...
- O33 Maternal care for disproportion
- O34 Maternal care for abnormality of pelvic ...
- O35 Maternal care for known or suspected fet...
- O36 Maternal care for other fetal problems
- O40 Polyhydramnios
- O41 Other disorders of amniotic fluid and me...
- O42 Premature rupture of membranes
- O43 Placental disorders
- O44 Placenta previa
- O45 Premature separation of placenta [abrupt...
- O46 Antepartum hemorrhage, not elsewhere cla...
- O47 False labor
- O48 Late pregnancy
ICD-10-CM Range O60-O77
Complications of labor and delivery
- O60 Preterm labor
- O61 Failed induction of labor
- O62 Abnormalities of forces of labor
- O63 Long labor
- O64 Obstructed labor due to malposition and ...
- O65 Obstructed labor due to maternal pelvic ...
- O66 Other obstructed labor
- O67 Labor and delivery complicated by intrap...
- O68 Labor and delivery complicated by abnorm...
- O69 Labor and delivery complicated by umbili...
- O70 Perineal laceration during delivery
- O71 Other obstetric trauma
- O72 Postpartum hemorrhage
- O73 Retained placenta and membranes, without...
- O74 Complications of anesthesia during labor...
- O75 Other complications of labor and deliver...
- O76 Abnormality in fetal heart rate and rhyt...
- O77 Other fetal stress complicating labor an...
ICD-10-CM Range O80-O82
Encounter for delivery
- O80 Encounter for full-term uncomplicated de...
- O82 Encounter for cesarean delivery without ...
ICD-10-CM Range O85-O92
Complications predominantly related to the puerperium
Type 2 Excludes
- mental and behavioral disorders associated with the puerperium (F53.-)
- obstetrical tetanus (A34)
- puerperal osteomalacia (M83.0)
- O85 Puerperal sepsis
- O86 Other puerperal infections
- O87 Venous complications and hemorrhoids in ...
- O88 Obstetric embolism
- O89 Complications of anesthesia during the p...
- O90 Complications of the puerperium, not els...
- O91 Infections of breast associated with pre...
- O92 Other disorders of breast and disorders ...
ICD-10-CM Range O94-O9A
Other obstetric conditions, not elsewhere classified
- O94 Sequelae of complication of pregnancy, c...
- O98 Maternal infectious and parasitic diseas...
- O99 Other maternal diseases classifiable els...
- O9A Maternal malignant neoplasms, traumatic ...
ICD-10-CM Range N00-N99
Diseases of the genitourinary system
- N00-N08 Glomerular diseases
- N10-N16 Renal tubulo-interstitial diseases
- N17-N19 Acute kidney failure and chronic kidney ...
- N20-N23 Urolithiasis
- N25-N29 Other disorders of kidney and ureter
- N30-N39 Other diseases of the urinary system
- N40-N53 Diseases of male genital organs
- N60-N65 Disorders of breast
- N70-N77 Inflammatory diseases of female pelvic o...
- N80-N98 Noninflammatory disorders of female geni...
- N99-N99 Intraoperative and postprocedural compli...
ICD-10-CM Range P00-P96
Certain conditions originating in the perinatal period
- P00-P04 Newborn affected by maternal factors and...
- P05-P08 Disorders of newborn related to length o...
- P09-P09 Abnormal findings on neonatal screening
- P10-P15 Birth trauma
- P19-P29 Respiratory and cardiovascular disorders...
- P35-P39 Infections specific to the perinatal per...
- P50-P61 Hemorrhagic and hematological disorders ...
- P70-P74 Transitory endocrine and metabolic disor...
- P76-P78 Digestive system disorders of newborn
- P80-P83 Conditions involving the integument and ...
- P84-P84 Other problems with newborn
- P90-P96 Other disorders originating in the perin...