- ICD-10-CM Codes ›
- E00-E89 Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases ›
- E70-E88 Metabolic disorders ›
- E88- Other and unspecified metabolic disorders ›
- 2021 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code E88
2021 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code E88
Other and unspecified metabolic disorders
2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Non-Billable/Non-Specific Code
- E88 should not be used for reimbursement purposes as there are multiple codes below it that contain a greater level of detail.
- The 2021 edition of ICD-10-CM E88 became effective on October 1, 2020.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of E88 - other international versions of ICD-10 E88 may differ.
Use Additional Help
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation. In most cases the manifestation codes will have in the code title, "in diseases classified elsewhere." Codes with this title are a component of the etiology/manifestation convention. The code title indicates that it is a manifestation code. "In diseases classified elsewhere" codes are never permitted to be used as first listed or principle diagnosis codes. They must be used in conjunction with an underlying condition code and they must be listed following the underlying condition.
- codes for associated conditions
Type 1 Excludes
Type 1 Excludes Help
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes. It means "not coded here". A type 1 excludes note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as E88. A type 1 excludes note is for used for when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
The following code(s) above E88
contain annotation back-references
In this context, annotation back-references refer to codes that contain:
- Applicable To annotations, or
- Code Also annotations, or
- Code First annotations, or
- Excludes1 annotations, or
- Excludes2 annotations, or
- Includes annotations, or
- Note annotations, or
- Use Additional annotations
that may be applicable to E88
- 2016 (effective 10/1/2015): New code (first year of non-draft ICD-10-CM)
- 2017 (effective 10/1/2016): No change
- 2018 (effective 10/1/2017): No change
- 2019 (effective 10/1/2018): No change
- 2020 (effective 10/1/2019): No change
- 2021 (effective 10/1/2020): No change
ICD-10-CM Codes Adjacent To E88
Mixed disorder of acid-base balance
Transfusion associated circulatory overload
Other disorders of electrolyte and fluid balance, not elsewhere classified
E88 Other and unspecified metabolic disorders
Disorders of plasma-protein metabolism, not elsewhere classified
Other disorders of plasma-protein metabolism, not elsewhere classified
Lipodystrophy, not elsewhere classified
Lipomatosis, not elsewhere classified
Tumor lysis syndrome
Mitochondrial metabolism disorders
Mitochondrial metabolism disorder, unspecified
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.